Monastery of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary of Mount Carmel
189 Madison Avenue
Morristown, New Jersey 07960
About the Carmel of Morristown:
The Morristown Carmel was founded in 1926 by Bishop John O'Connor, then bishop of Newark, who wanted to build a monastery in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary in thanksgiving for the jubilee anniversary of his episcopal ordination. Reverend Mother Mary Magdalene of the Wheeling, West Virginia, Carmel came to Morristown on December 30, 1926, accompanied by her spiritual director, Paulist Father Henry O'Keeffe and four Sisters. The chapel, dedicated to the Most Holy Trinity, was consecrated May 17, 1941. Among the prelates at the ceremony was the then-Monsignor Fulton J. Sheen.
Since then, our Carmel has grown to a community of 15 women, several professsed nuns and others in formation. We continue to receive a steady stream of young women who are interested in nurturing their vocations by considering this cloistered life of prayer and sacrifice.